Lunglei District occupies more or less the central part of Mizoram, extending more to the southern side. It is bounded on the north- west by Mamit District, on the north- east by Serchhip District, on the south by Lawngtlai District, on the southeast by Saiha District. It shares international borders with Myanmar on the east and Bangladesh on the west.
- Area : 4536sq. Kms
- Latitude : 22.03 N – 23.18 N
- Longitude : 92.15 E – 93.10 E
- International Borders : Bangladesh (on the west)
- Myanmar (on the east)
- Average elevation : 722 mts (2369 ft)
- Highest elevation : Zopuitlang (1850 mts)
- Lowest elevation : Karnaphuli River (20 mts)
- Dense Forest area : 524.63 sq. kms
- Climate : Humid tropical climate
- Average Rainfall : 2566 mm per annum
- No. of Sub-Divisions : 3
- No. of RD Blocks : 4
- No. of Notified Towns : 3
- No. of Villages : 161
- No. of Villages electrified : 118
- No. of Village Councils : 145
- No. of households : 27995
- No. of Assembly Constituencies : 7
- Population ( as per 2011 Census)
- Male : 82,891
- Female : 78,537
- Total : 1,61,428
Density : 36 per sq.km.
- Literacy ( as per 2011 Census)
Male : 92.04%
Female : 85.49%
- Total : 88.86%
- Road Communication
- NH-54 (via Serchhip) : 235 kms. from Aizawl
- World Bank Road (via Thenzawl) : 175kms. from Aizawl
- No. of Police Stations : 6
- No. of Police Out Post : 2
- No. of Post Office : 64
- No. of Telephone Exchange : 10
- Educational Institutions
- Primary Schools : 347
- Middle Schools : 218
- High School : 99
- Higher Secondary Schools : 18
- Colleges : 3
- Other institutions : 3 (DIET,Poytechnic,NEILIT)
- Total : 688
- Government : 2 (Lunglei & Tlabung Sub-Div.)
- Private : 2 (Faith Hospital, Hope Hospital)
- Others : 1(Christian Hospital Serkawn)
- Total : 5
- Nursing Schools : 2
- CHCs : 1
- PHCs : 11
- Sub-Health Centers : 55
- Dispensary : 7
- Veterinary Hospital : 1
- Regional Animal Health Centers : 6
- Cottage Industries : 106
- Industries : 292
- FCS&CA Godowns : 15
- Financial Institutions/ Banking Facilities:
- -State Bank of India
- -Mizoram Rural Bank
- -Mizoram Cooperative Apex Bank
- -Canara Bank
- -Syndicate Bank
- -IDBI Bank
- -Axis Bank
- -HDFC Bank
- Recreation Centres
- -District Park, Zobawk
- -JB. Resorts, Thaizawl
- -Laldenga Park, Kawmzawl,Pukpui
- -Zomuan Park, Nghasih, near Lunglei “ Bridge of Rock”
- Other notable places
- -Saikuti Hall – a Multi Purpose Hall where most of the concerts, significant events and celebrations are held.
- -Thuamluaia Mual – the second football stadium with artificial turf in Mizoram.
There are 4(four) Recreation Centres in and around Lunglei Town, such as:
1) District Park, Zobawk
2) JB. Resorts, Thaizawl. (NH-54 Lawngtlai road)
3) Laldenga Park, Kawmzawl, Pukpui.
4) Zomuan Park, Nghasih, near Lunglei “ Bridge of Rock”.
All these centres are equipped with Kitchen, Rest House or Meeting Hall and Swimming Pool. There is Tennis Court and Volley Ball Court at District Park and JB Resort respectively. Facilities for indoor and outdoor games are available at Zomuan Park.
Contact No : 9615505976-Chowkedar / 9436143353-Office
Contact No:9862925638 / 9612357467
Contact No :9862969313/0372-2322181/9862655923
BANKING FACILITIES :
Primary Banking Institutions like State Bank of India, Mizoram Rural Bank (Sponsored by SBI) have a good network of Bank Branches throughout the District. In addition to this Banks like Apex Bank, Axis Bank, Syndicate Bank, HDFC Bank, Canara Bank, IDBI Bank, Etc are also operating within Lunglei Town.
While State Bank of India have 3 branches at Hnahthial, Tlabung and Chanmari area Lunglei, Mizoram Rural banks are covering 8 prominent locations in the outlying areas.
It is proposed to open accounts in the name of all tha NLUP beneficiaries as per NLUP Manual in the Bankable cover area. In fact both the SBI and Mizoram Rural banks have volunteered to function as bankers for NLUP project. These banks may also organized Mobile banking where necessary.
There are four Hospitals within Lunglei town:
1) Civil Hospital, Lunglei (District Hospital)
2) Christian Hospital, Serkawn, runs by BCM Hqrs. Serkawn.
3) Hope Hospital (Private).
4) Faith Hospital (Private).
There are two hospitals at Sub-Division Level. These are:
1) Sub-Divisional Hospital at Tlabung (40 beds).
2) Community Health Centre at Hnahthial(30 beds).
Besides this, there are 9 Primary Health Centres/Subsidiary Health Centres at:
1) Chhipphir village
2) Buarpui Village
3) Bunghmun village
4) Tawipui village
5) Cherhlun village
6) Lungsen village
7) Haulawng village
8) Pangzawl village
9) South Vanlaiphai village
Civil Hospital, Lunglei.
Christian Hospital, Serkawn.